2018. "Risky Investments: How Local and Foreign Investors Finesse Corruption-Rife Emerging Markets," American Sociological Review 84(4) 657-685.
2017. “Guest Editors Introduction: Inter-Asian Capital Circulations, Cultural Transformations, and Methodological Positions,” a special issue titled De-centering ‘Globalized Asia, edited by Kimberly Kay Hoang, Ya-Wen Lei, and Jessica Cobb positions: asia critique: 25(4) 633-644. [*First author with Jessica Cobb (UCLA) and Ya-Wen Lei (Harvard)]
2017. "Are Public Sociology and Scholar-Activism Really at Odds?" Contexts: after charlottesville: a contexts symposium
2016. “Perverse Humanitarianism and the Business of Rescue: What’s Wrong with NGOs and What’s Right with the Johns?” a special issue titled Perverse Politics edited by Ann Orloff, Raka Ray, and Evern Savci in Political Power and Social Theory 30(1): 19-43.
2016. “Economies of Desire: Speculative Capital and the Hidden Currencies of Global Sex Work,” Media Asia 43(3-4) 145-150.
2016. “When access is a challenge accepted,” Contexts: viewpoints 15(2):18-19. (Equal coauthor with Rhacel Parrenas)
2015. “Protagonist-Driven Urban Ethnography,” City and Community 14(4): 348-351. (Equal coauthor with Jessica Cobb)
2015. “Nailing Race and Labor Relations: Vietnamese Nail Salons in Majority-Minority Neighborhoods,” Journal of Asian American Studies 18(2): 113-140. [Lead Article]
2014. "Flirting with Capital: Negotiating Perceptions of Asian Ascendency and Western Decline in Global Sex Work," Social Problems 61(4): 507-529. [Lead Article]
* ASA Section on Global & Transnational Sociology Best Article Award, 2016.
* ASA Section on Asia & Asian America Best Article Award Honorable Mention, 2016.
* ASA Section on Race, Gender, and Class Distinguished Contribution to Article Award, 2015.
2014. "Competing Technologies of Embodiment: Pan-Asian Modernity and Third World Dependency in Vietnam's Contemporary Sex Industry," Gender and Society 28(4): 513-536. [Lead Article]
* ASA Section on Sociology of Body and Embodiment Best Publication Award, 2015.
* ASA Section on Sociology of Sex & Gender Best Article Award, 2015.
* ASA Section on Asia and Asian America Research Paper Award, 2014.
2014. "Vietnam Rising Dragon: Contesting Dominant Western Masculinities in Ho Chi Minh City's Global Sex Industry," International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society 27(2): 259-271.
* First published online September 2013: DOI 10.1007/s10767-013-9155-6.
2013. "Transnational Gender Vertigo," Contexts 12(2): 22-26. [Feature Article]
* Featured on BBC's Thinking Allowed with Laurie Taylor, October 30, 2013.
* Reprint: AsiaLIFE Magazine, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. September 2013 Issue.
* Featured in The Global Viet, Houston: University of Houston C.T. Bauer College of Business, 2013.
2011. "She's Not a Low-Class Dirty Girl: Sex Work in Ho Chi Minh City," Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 40(4): 367-396. [Lead Article]
* ASA Sociology of Sexualities Graduate Student Paper Award, 2011.
* Sociologists for Women in Society, Cheryl Allyn Miller Award, 2011.
* Honorable Mention ASA Asia and Asian American Studies Section, 2011.
* Vietnam Studies Group Best Graduate Student Paper Prize, 2010.
2010. "Economies of Emotion, Familiarity, Fantasy, and Desire: Emotional Labor in Ho Chi Minh City’s Sex Industry,” Sexualities 13(2): 255-272.
* Reprint: 2010. Intimate Labors, ed. by Eileen Boris and Rhacel Parrenas. Stanford University Press
* Best Graduate Student Paper, Southeast Asian Program, Cornell University, 2008.